Thomas Cook Chief Executive, Peter Fankhauser, has flown out to Egypt on Wednesday to meet with the Prime Minister, Dr Mostafa Madbouly.
“They will discuss the recent tragic deaths of Mr and Mrs Cooper in Hurghada and the ongoing investigation by the Egyptian authorities.” – announced a Thomas Cook representative.
Thomas Cook are hoping to finally gain access to the hotel room, where the British coupe died, as the company claims that Egyptian authorities prevented their investigators from accessing the hotel.
John, 69, and wife Susan, 63, from Burnley, Lancashire, had died on August 21st at the hotel Steigenberger Aqua Magic, in Hurghada on the Red Sea, where several reports of sickness and illness has since been reported.
Egyptian authorities had initially claimed that John Cooper had died from a heart attack and that his wife Susan had then collapsed with grief. They described it as “[the] normal death of an English old man and his wife”.
Kelly Ormerod, the daughter of the couple who claims was prevented from leaving Egypt for a couple of days after the incident, insisted her parents had been “in perfect health” the night before their death.
“I believe something suspicious has gone on… something has happened in that room and caused them to be taken away from us.” Said Ormerod to The Telegraph.
“I watched them die before my very eyes and they had exactly the same symptoms.”
Major General Ahmed Abdullah, the Red Sea governor, told reporters in Hurghada that there was “a strange odour in the room” where the couple had passed away. He said the room at the hotel had been sealed off while a committee of specialists investigated the ventilation and air conditioning systems.
This incident wasn’t the first nor the last to occur at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel. In fact, four weeks before the death of the Coopers, Thomas Cook has been ordered to pay £26,000 in compensation to a family struck down with a gastric illness at the same hotel.
The court giving the ruling against the company claimed that it was negligent and that the “provided hotel accommodation which was so unsafe that no reasonable holidaymaker would agree to go on holiday there”.
The Newport county court accused the company of providing “hotel accommodation which was so unsafe that no reasonable holidaymaker would agree to go on holiday there”, reported The Guardian.
Since and before the deaths, a raised level of illness among guests, including sixteen reported one, has become evident and has caused Thomas Cook to evacuate more than 300 of their costumers out of the hotel.