Egyptian Student Beaten in U.K. Dies of Maltreatment

Mariam Moustafa Abdel-Salam, the 18-year old girl who was beaten by a group of 10 girls in Nottingham, U.K. on Tuesday, February 20, died on Wednesday, March 14 at the hospital while being treated for serious brain damage caused by the attack.

“Mariam has been in a coma for three days after she underwent a critical surgery in the brain to treat her deteriorated condition,” lawyer Emad Abu Hussein told Egypt Today, revealing that the hospital she was admitted to failed to treat her. “The hospital sent her home despite her severe cerebral haemorrhage,” Abu Hussein added.

According to the Egyptian Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Nasser Kamel, the Egyptian embassy in London has been operating on several levels since the attack and is communicating with the Home Office (British interior ministry) to take the necessary legal procedures and inquires about the hospital treatment that caused her condition’s deterioration.

Furthermore, on March 2, Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman, Ahmed Abo-Zeid, said that the ministry has demanded that the British authorities take serious measures in investigating the 10 girls who abused Abdel-Salam. The procedures should be made easier given the fact that the incident was captured by the CCTV cameras on the streets and on the bus where Abdel-Salam was attacked.

Abo-Zeid further stated that the ministry blames the hospital where Abdel-Salam was taken of being “negligent,” since they’d already known she needed intensive care, which they did not adequately provide and in turn, she fell into a coma shortly after her admission into the hospital. The ministry also hired the victim’s family a lawyer to follow the case’s legal updates.

Abdel-Salam’s mother considers the attack on her daughter a race-based hate crime because according to a video she posted on social media, Abdel-Salam did not know the 10 girls prior to the attack.

“Four months ago, two of the same 10 women abused my daughter on the street for no specific reason. We went to the police station and issued an official complaint; however, nothing happened,” she added.